The demolition and extensive restoration of this 25,000-square foot-hall took two and a half years. Besides updating 100-year-old utilities and ventilation systems, the project focused on revealing the original architectural structure and restoring the plaster detailing.
The 52-foot tall central atrium, which had been blocked and painted, was replaced, allowing natural light to once again fill this exhibition hall.
The original 1910 plasterwork and interior color schemes were meticulously restored.
© 2006 Smithsonian Institution