LOCATION: Three Saints Harbor archaeological site, Kodiak Island (1784-1820s) and Nunakakhvak Village archaeological site at Karluk, Kodiak Island (1840s)
REFERENCE: U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife (bottle glass pendant KOD 083:1033); Alutiiq Museum, Koniag, Inc., Collection (plate fragments UA85.195:2986,3131,3132; glass beads UA84.195:01922-01931; cross, UA84.195:02743)
DIMENSIONS: plate section 14 cm wide.
Glass beads from Europe and China were among the few types of trade goods that were plentiful under Russian rule. Bottle glass was another new material, used for ornaments and tools. The Alutiit adopted tea drinking from the Russians along with "China" that was actually made in England. The cross was a personal item worn by Christian converts.